I have had problems the last couple of days with the laptop I’m using at the project. The response has been extremely slow. CPU and memory seem ok, but the disk keeps working non-stop. The computer is a HP Compaq nc8430 with 4gb ram running Windows XP. It has a 80gb disk drive partitioned into equal size c: and d: drives.
What I’ve done so far to improve performance:
- Delete stuff not in use from disk.
- Run ccleaner.
- Move the windows swap file from c: to d: (d: has more free space).
- Set min and max swap-file size to be 1.5x the total amount of memory.
- Run ultradefrag on both c: and d: drives.
- Montior disk activity with Process Monitor Results:
- java.exe and javaw.exe seem to be doing much disk i/o – oracle/bea workshop?
- antivirus (smc.exe, smcgui.exe) also do much disk i/o
What else should I try? Anyone have any tips or tricks? Fixing this problem would make me very happy..